Monday, October 22, 2012

Coleman Base Cabinet Redo

When I bought my new house 8 years ago, I purchased a bunch of Coleman cabinets for storage.  They look nice, but the drawer bases did not hold up very well with tools in them.  The weight of the tools is breaking the drawer slides.  Also, the drawers are almost 9.5 inches deep, which is not very useful for storing tools.






Here is a picture of the original drawer slides.  They are very light-weight.  I'm not sure what the rating is for them.

I thought I would make new drawers the size that I wanted them and replace these.



I took the drawer out and determined that 4 in deep drawers would work better for me in this space.







I made the new drawers sides out of some scrap pine I had in the garage.  For the bottoms, I just used some scrap OSB.





I purchased some new drawer slides and installed them.  I plan on replacing this slides with some Full Extension slides.  These slides work, but not was well as I would like them too.





After installing the new drawers, I took the original drawer front and cut it in two and attached it to the new drawers.  I have to find some new handles to match the original ones.





I'm please with how they turned out.  I have two of these drawer bases and each one has three drawers.  I plan on doing this on at least two more drawers.  Now, I need to organize the tools in these two new drawers!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the drawer slides - I need a few sets for my Coleman cabinets that look just like yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking bot buy some old style coleman cabinets, have any for sale?

    ReplyDelete